We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—allowing for seamless collaboration and problem-solving among Dev, Ops and Security teams globally for tens of thousands of companies. Our culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Product Detection Engineering team at Datadog develops impactful threat and vulnerability detection content for Datadog’s portfolio of Cloud Security Platform products. As part of the Security Research organization, you will join a diverse team of hackers and builders who launch impactful security products and research via cross-company collaboration, partnerships with the security community and open source initiatives.
We are looking for a Detection Engineering Team Lead to lead the Cloud Workload Security (CWS) Detection Engineering team at Datadog. Our Cloud Workload Security product protects Linux hosts and containers in our customers’ production cloud environments from threats observed at runtime via our eBPF agent. We’re taking a new approach to cloud security at Datadog by leveraging detailed observability data in a cloud-native way. This detailed observability data has been used by DevOps teams successfully since our inception, and now Datadog is helping Security teams with their use case.
You’ll join at an ideal time to make a big impact as the product is seeing very high growth, with many new features to build as well as a need for scaling up dramatically.
- Develop and lead a team of talented security practitioners who are responsible for building and continuously improving high quality detections in the CWS product
- Track, research, and experiment with the latest tactics, techniques & procedures for attacking and defending cloud runtime environments. Operationalize that experience into actionable detection monitoring
- Partner with the broader Security Research & Detection Engineering organization to build and drive collaborative detection, research and thought leadership efforts
- Partner with Datadog’s Product Management team to create, prioritize and provide feedback on product features and a roadmap and backlog of detection and response content
- Create, track and iterate on metrics that showcase the efficacy of your team to leadership across Datadog
- Collaborate with highly technical customers, listen to their needs, and work with your team to help solve their problems at scale
- Evangelize your team’s mission and regularly communicate with teams outside of your organizational structure
- Create, write, and deliver content for our community, such as blog posts, documentation, webinars, and workshops. Present at conferences to highlight the challenges and successes in the field
- A proven leader with experience in building out security engineering, detection engineer or security research teams
- Passionate about building products that make a meaningful impact on customer’s security posture
- You are comfortable with DevOps concepts surrounding cloud environments and can build an environment to test attacks and detections
- You have deep knowledge of the Linux operating system and are curious to identify threats in large scale cloud workload environments
- You have experience measuring the efficacy of security content and communicating those metrics to stakeholders
- Motivating, kind and humble people leader who focuses on growth and happiness for your team. You have the ability to grow talent by providing a proper mentorship and performance management environment while prioritizing empathy
- Excited to focus on building a diverse and inclusive organization
- Understanding of the value of driving efficiencies and partnerships with external teams
- You have demonstrated experience in talking to customers and designing solutions that meet their needs at scale
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- You are confident representing your ideas and opinions in a manner that can be challenged and respond to feedback well
Why You Should Apply:
- Generous and competitive global and US benefits
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan
- Continuous career development and pathing opportunities
- Product training to develop an in-depth understanding of our product and space
- Best in breed onboarding
- Internal mentor and buddy program cross-departmentally
- Friendly and inclusive workplace culture
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Rule (“EPT”)
The role salary typically ranges from $200,000 to $240,000, plus variable compensation and a competitive equity package. Your actual compensation will be determined based on your skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, Datadog offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits. To learn more about Benefits click here.
#LI-Remote This is a remote position
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.