Senior Security Engineer
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, chemistry, automation, and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for diseases. We generate a wide variety of data across different biological and chemical domains and build models off of that data. Reporting to the Director of Engineering for this group, the ML Platform Engineering Manager will work to provide first-in-class capabilities and infrastructure that accelerate and enable machine learning across the business.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Provide expert guidance and consultation to development teams on secure coding practices, and ensure that products and applications are developed with security in mind.
- Develop and implement security policies and procedures for Cloud, containerization technologies, and container orchestration platforms.
- Develop and implement security policies and procedures to protect sensitive data and systems from cyber threats.
- Work closely with DevOps teams to implement security into the development lifecycle (DevSecOps).
- Identify and report on data security anomalies and partner with other teams to remediate as required,
- Convey security concepts to non-technical audiences (e.g. senior and executive management, and internal customers).
- Conduct security assessments and vulnerability testing of applications, products, systems, and networks to identify potential threats and risks.
The Team You’ll Join
- You will be joining a growing IT and Information Security team at Recursion, focused on securely implementing and operating our systems, IT Infrastructure, tools, and technologies that enable Recursion to decode biology by running experiments at scale from experiment conception through successful execution. You'll collaborate with your teammates and across departments to agree on what the most important challenges and capabilities are, then figure out how to get us there.
The Experience You’ll Need
- 8+ years of experience with the security architecture of a major cloud Infrastructure platform (AWS, GCP, Azure), Operating systems (Linux and Windows), Databases, Containers, Kubernetes, IAM, Directory services, Endpoints, and networks amongst others.
- 5+ years of experience in Information Security, with a focus on application security, product security, and data security.
- Strong experience with containerization technologies and container orchestration platforms (for example Kubernetes, GKE,…) and related security challenges.
- Familiarity with conducting security reviews of new products and applications to ensure they meet security requirements and standards.
- Experience in conducting security assessments, vulnerability testing, and security audits.
- Strong experience with Docker containers, Kubernetes, GKE, and GCP.
- Experience with fully automating CI/CD pipelines end-to-end, from code commits to production.
- Strong understanding of cloud security principles and best practices.
- Familiarity with scripting skills in Python.
- Experience with Terraform and Ansible.
- Familiarity with networking fundamentals and protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, etc,)
- Perform network forensics and ability to read packet captures.
- Stay current with emerging security threats, technologies, and trends.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to implement and maintain security controls and policies.
- Proficient in performing Open Source Intelligence gathering.
- Working knowledge of industry standards – NIST Cyber Security Framework, NIST SP 800-53, ISO 27001/2, Cloud Security Alliance, or Privacy Shield.
- Support decisions that balance Cybersecurity with ease of use.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.