Senior Privacy Engineer
Who We Are
Verily is a subsidiary of Alphabet that is using a data-driven approach to change the way people manage their health and the way healthcare is delivered. Launched from Google X in 2015, Our purpose is to bring the promise of precision health to everyone, every day. We are focused on generating and activating data from a variety of sources, including clinical, social, behavioral and the real world, to arrive at the best solutions for a person based on a comprehensive view of the evidence. Our unique expertise and capabilities in technology, data science and healthcare enable the entire healthcare ecosystem to drive better health outcomes.
Privacy Engineers (PE) provide consultative guidance across the scope of products, infrastructure and process at Verily. This role is responsible for overseeing the architecture and design of privacy controls, mechanisms and protocols across the organization and product lines. This team member will work cross-functionally with the Privacy/Legal, Data Governance, Trust & Compliance, Engineering and Product Teams. The role sits within the CISO organization within security & privacy engineering.
- Guide engineering teams during product development to ensure that their data collection and usage practices are transparent, protect user privacy, and mitigate risk.
- Design and implement privacy capabilities, patterns and policies that will be integrated into our products and provide technical consulting on privacy for product teams.
- Use 3rd party commercial tooling (e.g., OneTrust, JIRA, etc.) as part of privacy reviews and tracking issues.
- Analyze and audit data through its lifecycle to ensure that privacy requirements are being met.
- Build relationships with technical and compliance teams to deliver privacy-by-design controls that are incorporated into engineering deployments.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a similar technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience in a related role and experience with concepts and practices such as data security, data anonymization and classification, auditing access to data, and review of requests for data access.
- Experience with one or more cloud based providers (such as AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Master's degree or higher in Computer Science or similar field.
- Certifications related to privacy, such as CIPP, CIPT or CIPM.
- Knowledge of regulations such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), etc.
- Ability to identify stakeholders and points of view, and bring people together to agree on and execute a strategy.
- Prior exposure to regulated healthcare and life sciences companies a plus.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $148,000-$227,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
Why Join Us
Build What’s Vital.
At Verily, you are a part of something bigger. We are a diverse team of builders innovating at the intersection of health and technology—united by a shared spirit of curiosity, resilience and determination to make better health possible for all. This builder mindset means your fingerprints will be on the work that shapes the future of health. Fulfilling our precision health purpose starts with the health of our Veeps (what we call our employees), which is why we offer flexibility, resources, and competitive benefits to support you in your whole-person well being. We believe diversity of thought drives innovation—we unite the brightest minds, and encourage all Veeps to bring their lived experience to work with them.
If this sounds exciting to you, we would love to hear from you.
You can find out more about our company culture on our LinkedIn Company Page and Verily Careers page.