Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive. At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.We're looking for a Security Engineer based in Wellington, Auckland, Melbourne or Sydney! Asset Security is a relatively new pod (since July 2021) inside the wider Security Engineering team. Our vision is to empower teams at Xero to improve the security posture of our data and cloud-native workloads, and reduce the cybersecurity risk within our platform environment. We do this by building, integrating, and operating centrally-managed security products. This Engineer will be responsible for Xero's vulnerability management and data encryption products. The candidate will work with various internal stakeholders such as product, Security Architects, Security Risk and Compliance, and other engineering teams across Xero to collaboratively define and build solutions to solve infrastructure security problems at scale.
What you'll do:
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, produce robust high quality and scalable software. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews.
- Test software - Design and automate testing activities that effectively reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and acceptance criteria. Collaborate with the team and understand their own responsibility for quality.
- Resolve issues - Triage and solve development and production issues, and be able to quickly track down the root cause. Communicate the impact of the problem to stakeholders in terms of business value, helping to set a priority for the resolution. Actively participate in incident responses.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Maintain knowledge of Xero’s current and emerging engineering standards and practices. Develop and deploy software that meets Xero's standards.
- Continuous improvement - Maintain knowledge of current and emerging development technologies and methodologies. Develop expertise in one or more programming languages and ecosystem specific technologies.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Maintain and monitor delivery processes. Ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Practice agile software development. Occasionally facilitate agile ceremonies. Proactively work to improve team processes.
What you'll bring with you
- Proficient use of Python, and one or more of the following programming languages and tools: Bash, Boto3, Terraform, ASW CloudFormation, New Relic, Pytest & Kubernetes.
- Has developed a specialisation in one of: AWS technology, DevOps practices and tools, compute infrastructure management, cloud cryptography
- Ability to debug across a broad technology stack including AWS cloud services
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying our software products
- Proficient in deployment and maintenance of cloud infrastructure for team's products
- Able to implement resilient software design patterns
- Able to maintain, update and document team processes and runbooks
- Familiar with application and infrastructure security concerns and proactively mitigates issues
- Has practiced test-driven development in an agile software development environment
- Demonstrated ability to support solutions built by yourself and others, and respond to production incidents
Why you should become a Xero?It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support, and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work. We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.Xero is a Rainbow Tick certified employer.Xero strongly encourages employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.