Data Centre Operations Technician II
Australia - Sydney•March 19, 2023
The Data Center Operations Technician owns the responsibility of all IT Infrastructure, including customer configurations, within the data center environment ensuring all customer server environments are secure, operational and maintain 99.999% up-time. Our main Data Centre is located at Erskine Park and Alexandria, candidates will require reliable transportation. This role requires shiftwork (rotated equally within the team, and fairly compensated for) so all applicants need to be available and comfortable with this work structure. Full Australian working rights are required for this position.
- Utilize custom monitoring software and internal ticketing system to provide customer support.
- Identify and troubleshoot simple hardware failures on servers, including the replacement of failed hardware components.
- Troubleshoot Operating system storage issues including file system, disk management and RAID technologies.
- Support Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Server, Ubuntu Linux or VMWare ESX Server.
- Simple operating systems administration to include troubleshooting of login, password and connectivity issues.
- Troubleshoot simple local area network (LAN) connectivity issues and re-establish remote access to customer configurations utilizing SSH, Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services or Remote Access Controllers.
- Complete troubleshooting, configuration and replacement of network device hardware including access and aggregation switches, firewalls, load-balancers and security appliances.
- Complete troubleshooting, configuration and replacement of storage devices including DAS and NAS arrays.
- Complete customer configuration maintenances including hardware modification, operating system installation, mounting of the devices within cabinets and completion of all cabling needs required.
- Troubleshoot copper and fiber cabling including initial installation testing as well as connectivity issues with previously deployed copper or fiber cabling.
- Provide technical communication relating to customer configurations in a concise, professional manner.
- Adhere to company security policies and procedures, including health and safety and local governing requirements as directed.
- Communicate in an honest, transparent manner focused on building trust amongst customers and coworkers.
- Must be able to work shift work covering a 24x7x365 roster, including public holidays and weekends.
- Previous experience with building, repairing or upgrading hardware.
- Experience with Dell PowerEdge and HP ProLiant server hardware.
- Experience with Dell PowerVault DAS, NetApp and EMC Isilon NAS systems preferred.
- Previous experience in a customer service-oriented position preferred.
- Experience with Cisco, F5 and Brocade network devices preferred.
- Must be able to prioritize work in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
- Must possess strong written and verbal skills, type with proficiency and exhibit professional phone etiquette.
- Must be able to lift servers and various other hardware without assistance.
- Must have reliable transportation. Willing to occasionally travel to other DC's within Sydney as required.
Success in the role requires the following personal qualities:
- Effective Communicator.
- Team Player.
- Welcomes Feedback.
- Ability to Identify Problems.