The Cloud Engineer is a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and is expected to provide a high level of technical support to our customers via the phone, ticketing system, and automation. This role owns complex customer issues that may take several days or weeks to resolve and keeps our customers updated through every step of the process. Responsible for the support of internal and external customers on multiple platforms. Work with customers and other teams to troubleshoot customer environments to increase user satisfaction. Resolves customer issues, providing guidance and recommendations to increase efficiency and reduce customer incidents. Develops tooling and processes to drive and improve customer experience, creates playbooks, and provides mentoring on customer-related issues to support teams. The Support Engineer is expected to take initiative and advise on potential pitfalls that a customer may encounter and suggest alternatives which may better serve the stability and security of the customer's solution. Keeps informed of emerging technologies. Responsible for adhering to company security policies and procedures and any other relevant policies and standards as directed.
Knowledge / Skills / Ability:
- Intermediate knowledge of Virtualization Technologies (I.e.: VMWare, OpenStack, and Hyper-V)
- Basic operating systems knowledge (Windows and Linux)
- Basic network skills. Basic working knowledge of fibre channel SANS, NFS and vSAN
- Basic knowledge of vROPS.
- Intermediate knowledge of the vSphere platform
- Working knowledge of HP/DELL Server hardware platforms.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Basic knowledge of Project Management methodologies
- Basic understanding of services and protocols, configuration, management, and troubleshooting of hosting environments, including web servers, databases, caching, and database services
- Basic knowledge in the application of current and emerging network software and hardware technology and protocols
- Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices, and procedures within a job discipline.
- Applies general knowledge of business developed through education or past experience
- Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices, and procedures within a job discipline
- Performs routine assignments using existing procedures
- Receives instruction, guidance, and direction from more senior-level roles
- Entry level to a professional career progression Critical Competencies
- Systems Thinking: Executes tasks and/or provides data to support the implementation of holistic solutions that forge linkages between structure, people, process, and technology.
- Idea Creation: Contributes to idea generation within team settings
- Contribute to functional business continuity/transformational projects and customer engagements (both technical and non-technical), delivering key objectives for the Cloud Function
- Technical point of escalation to the Cloud Support teams; resolving customer issues, working in collaboration with partners across the business, as required
- Contribute to tasks relating to problem management, process improvement, reporting, and customer infrastructure
- Assists in the development of technical training for all Rackers supporting Rackspace Supported Cloud Products
- Contribute to Workload/Workforce Management and Optimization related tasks
- Collaborate with Account Managers and Business Development Consultants to build strong customer relationships
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other Engineers and Administrators on the support floor
Experience / Education:
- Required: Secondary/High school diploma or GED required. Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or 18–36 months related technical experience in systems engineering or administration.
- Intermediate experience in VMware virtual systems preferred.
- The following certifications are preferred: VCA, vRealize Operations, NSX, or vSAN badge.
- Must be willing to work 4-10's schedule, Sunday - Wednesday, 2100-0800 CST with 1 hour lunch
- General office environment.
- May require extended periods sitting and viewing a computer monitor.
- Elevated levels of stress may occur at times.
- No special physical demands required.
- Due to the 24x7x365 operations of the business, the candidate must be able to work a flexible work schedule, which may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
#LI-DE1#LI-Remote#LI-USA#LI-Rackspace#RackspaceFor applicants working in California, Colorado, Washington or New York City, we are excited to share the base salary ranges for this position exclusive of fringe benefits or potential bonus. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. • The anticipated starting pay range of California, Washington state and New York City applicants for this role is $86,600– $152,240• The anticipated starting pay range of Colorado applicants for this role is $75,800 - $111,210• These ranges for candidates may be modified in the future. • Unless already included in the posted pay range and based on eligibility, the role may include variable compensation in the form of bonus, commissions, or other discretionary payments. These discretionary payments are based on company and/or individual performance and may change at any time. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. Information on benefits offered is here.About Rackspace Technology
We are the multicloud solutions experts. We combine our expertise with the world’s leading technologies — across applications, data and security — to deliver end-to-end solutions. We have a proven record of advising customers based on their business challenges, designing solutions that scale, building and managing those solutions, and optimizing returns into the future. Named a best place to work, year after year according to Fortune, Forbes and Glassdoor, we attract and develop world-class talent. Join us on our mission to embrace technology, empower customers and deliver the future. More on Rackspace Technology
Though we’re all different, Rackers thrive through our connection to a central goal: to be a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission. We bring our whole selves to work every day. And we embrace the notion that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers and communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.